Friday 17 March 2017

Look up while walking

When I was at high school I remember a particular teacher would always walk from the classroom to the staff room with his head down, looking at the asphalt. I never knew why he did that. Was he thinking about his next class? Was he thinking about what he was going to have for dinner that night? I don't know.

This morning when I was walking I noticed many people with their head down looking at the footpath as they walked to work. It was a beautiful morning. It was warm. It was sunny and it's Friday but people were looking down, dawdling to what looked like to me to be an execution.

Why do people do this? Is it a habit? I don't know. Are they genuinely miserable and they don't want to look up? I didn't know.

My advice to you today is walk straight, walk tall and walk proud and as my mother used to say, "look the world in the eye."

Forget about your smartphone for a few minutes. That email from some obscure person will still be there in five minutes. Look up. If you are brave, smile at people walking by or do as do because I am not that brave, look at them acknowledge them. You never know who might be walking past you.

Head up everyone. Put a smile on your dial and kick a** in life. I assure you, you will feel a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment