Monday 6 March 2017

Give a man a fish

I was reminded to day of that saying:

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

I had a problem midway through the other day and I decided to go home to fix the problem which I did, then the problem flared up again and I thought, well, why don't I just fix the problem so that it doesn't affect me again?

It's all very well fixing the problem in the short term but if you don't fix the underlying problem then that problem will come back again and will keep coming back until you fix the underlying problem so  "fix it" I thought to myself.

Easier said than done, right?

I think the first thing is realising that you do have that problem. That is half the battle with most people, acknowledging it and when you do you need to fix it in a way that it is very difficult for it to come back again.


What am I going to do?

I am going to teach myself to fish. Not literally. I don't particularly like fish. (By the way, that is a big statement for someone who lives in Japan.)

I will teach myself to do things that will keep me going for years to come not for days or weeks to come.

Do you know what? You should too.

Stephen Covey said that there are urgent things in life and their are important things in life. Most people prioritise the urgent things in life at the expense of the important things.

The important things are things like your health but we will stop going to the gym because our boss has called a meeting which we don't need at 8pm just because he or she wants to show who is boss. It's not important as you health, urgent, yes but not important.

Make sure you prioritise the important things in life because that 8pm meeting won't mean anything in 5 years. Everyone would have forgotten about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment