Wednesday 20 July 2016

F**K

Have you read this article? This article really came to prominence at the beginning of 2015. For those of you who didn't click on the link, this is about Mark Manson's article called, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck.

Apparently he has got a book coming out soon. I must reserve my copy:

You can find it here.

At the start of his article, Manson says that we give a fuck over things that if you really think about it we shouldn't give a fuck about.

Regular readers will know that I give a fuck when people are walking slowly in front of me reading their smartphones. Should I really give a fuck?

Manson shows us three things to stop giving a fuck at things that we shouldn't really give a fuck at. Lets go through them and I will give you my take on them.

1. Not giving a fuck does not mean being indifferent; it means being comfortable with being different.

I have heard a few times that the opposite of love is not hate, it is in fact indifference. To me being indifferent can come across as being a real cold fish. Quite frankly, you do not want that.

Not giving a fuck means doing things that you enjoy to do no matter what other people might say. The other day I was sitting in the dark while doing my work. Someone asked me the question why I was sitting in the dark. That is one of my things. I like to sit in the dark and concentrate. To the person who asked that, my behaviour seemed strange but I didn't give a fuck.


2. To not give a fuck about adversity, you must first give a fuck about something more important than adversity.

You need to pick your fucks strategically. (Now I know how that is going to sound and no, I did not mean that.) Does what we are giving a fuck about really matter? Does it really matter in the long run? I say 99 times out of hundred it doesn't so use your fucks wisely.


3. We all have a limited number of fucks to give; pay attention to where and who you give them to.

Basically this is what I talked about in the last one. Be selective. Don't waste your energy on things that don't matter, you will just tire yourself out and that is never a good thing at all.


After reading Manson's article and what I have to say about it are you going to be more selective? Are you going to not worry about things that in the long run don't matter? What are you going to give a fuck about? I know for certain I am going to give a fuck about this blog. Why don't you find something that you give fuck about? I'm sure that your life will be so much better because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment