Saturday 6 August 2016

Why you should learn to speak in public.




What a handsome looking young man he is. This is a (not very clear) photo of me in 7th form. I'm showing my age a bit here because 7th form doesn't exist in New Zealand anymore. I believe it is called Year 13 now, in other words my final year of secondary school (high school).

This particular photo was taken at the General Studies class. The 7th formers could choose 3 subjects that weren't regularly on the curriculum and attend classes in that subject each term. This particular one was taken in the public speaking class.

For a lot of people public speaking is a huge fear. We do not like getting up in front of a bunch of people and speaking. It scares us to death, which unsurprisingly is another one of our fears.

Anyway, my suggestion to you today is going to be short and sweet.

Teach yourself to speak in public. It could be one of the most important things that you do in life.

I know that getting up and speaking is really difficult even if only 3 people are listening to you. You feel especially vulnerable and it is just plain scary but if you can overcome that fear then your self-confidence and your self-esteem goes up.

I like to get a reaction from the crowd so if they laugh at my corny jokes then my energy goes up. It's like I have ingested a half a gallon of Red Bull and it goes on from there.

Follow the young man's lead. Learn how to speak in public and I'm sure that your impact will rise in all of your interactions both social and in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment