Wednesday 24 August 2016

Getting your message across as an introvert

If you are anything like me then you tend to think too much about what you are going to do. So much so that you might not even start at all. This blog post is a great example. I've been thinking all day about what I am going to write that it is almost 6pm as I write this and I'm still none the wiser about what I'm going to scribe about.

It is very easy to think that until you get that perfect idea you won't do anything but the best ideas are when you start something and then the ideas flow. I know that in the last 144 days the best blog posts are the ones that I have just written something and then I got on a roll and before I knew it I had 500 words and counting.

I'm an unusual being in that I might think and think and think about things but on other things I just do it and decide to face whatever consequences there will be after. I think my problem is that I choose the wrong things to think and think and think about while the ones that I jump into I should have really taken a step back and thought about it for awhile.

We are all on this journey together and I think one of the things about making the leap from an introverted person to a more extroverted one is just getting started and not waiting for the right moment.

In my experience people who have ideas get excited about them and they want to do something to make their ideas come true. So they start something. They become passionate about it. Us introverts tend to be a little low key, so much so that no one would listen to us.

I heard that Al Gore was trying to show his evidence of global warming to members of the Congress in the United States. Al Gore is an introvert and the extroverted Congress members were not exactly excited about a couple of photos of a crack in the ice so he had to make a movie. Then they would listen.

So if you want your ideas heard you are going to have to shout it from the rooftops. People are not going to take any notice of you otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment