Sunday 2 October 2016

What does Dr. Seuss teach us?

How many of you had and read Dr. Seuss books?

I see most of you with your hand up.

Apparently Dr. Seuss was very quiet and introverted that he was scared to go and meet the local children because they would be confused about how quiet he was. I'm sure that they would have been expecting an outgoing, exuberant man. He didn't want to disappoint them.

It's interesting. I wonder if I disappoint some people when I meet them in this country. When we think of caucasian, English speaking people the country we immediately think of is America and (apologies to American readers, but it's true) the stereotype is loud and proud, stars and stripes bearing Americans.

In this country there is sometimes a thought that all caucasian, English speaking people are American and the stereotype is loud and proud so I'm sure that sometimes I disappoint people when I'm not that typical American boy.

Lets go back to Dr. Seuss. I found a good quote from him:

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Have a read of that again. It is so true, isn't it? If you say something or do something and people object to it, it is usually people who have nothing whatsoever to do with you and your life. They probably don't know you very well or they are just miserable themselves. If you do say or do something that may not be the best thing to do then the people that are important in your life will back you up. They will give you advice. They will have your back.

So, don't worry about offending people. Statistically, you are going to offend them anyway so just concentrate on the people who matter and they will support you through thick and thin. You know who these people are.

Well, it's Sunday, I'm going to have some green eggs and ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment