Thursday 13 October 2016

Introvert Problems Part 2

We continue my commentary on this memehttp://www.memes.com/img/227011

You can see Part 1 here.

30 problems that only introverts can understand.

9. People saying "just be more social."

Believe me, this advice is absolutely terrible. My friend and I have a saying JBC. This means 'just be confident.' How? How the hell can I be ... just more social or how can I be just more confident? I'm sorry, this advice, although I'm sure well meaning is pretty useless. They are just meaningless words. Hmmm, pretty much like small talk, right?


10. When you're able to enjoy parties and meetings, but after a short amount of time wish you were home in your pyjamas. 

I'm not sure if I wish I was at home, I think I wish having a drink with one other person or at the most two other people rather than listening to some loud mouth telling some boring story that everyone laughs at but wasn't really that funny. (This sounds like real introvert sour grape, doesn't it?)


11. Staying up late every night because it's the only time that you can actually be alone. 

Maybe this might be an option if you live with a lot of other people but when you live alone you have this bliss whenever you want.


12. People making you feel weird by for wanting to do things by yourself.

"You want to do what? What do you mean you want to walk around the Yamanote Line on your birthday? You should have a party with 700 of your closest friends."
It is OK to do things by yourself although I must admit that I struggle to travel by myself. Why is that? Well, it is difficult for me to start up a conversation with a stranger so imagine if I am travelling around Europe by myself for three weeks. Basically the only conversations I would have are:

"Yes, I'll have another beer please."

OR

"A single room please."


13. Having more conversations in your head than you do in real life. 

Yep. Guilty as charged. Do you do this as well? It is a lot of wasted energy and it is just not worth it. Think of something else. Be in the present moment. Visualise what is going to happen in the future. Look at number 1 from Part 1.


14. The need to recharge after social situations. 

As most of you should know by now, introverts recharge by being alone while extroverts recharge by being in and amongst people. So when an introvert heads on out they are going to want to recharge the batteries big time when they get home. They are going to be exhausted.


15. People calling you out for daydreaming too much.

I suppose this has happened to me from time to time where I have literally tuned out and have been thinking about another thing and people literally slap me to concentrate on what they are saying. I wonder if what they had to say was not interesting or that my thing was just so mush more important. I'm sure that you have all had a moment like this.


16. Carrying a book to a public place so no one will bug you , but other people take that as a conversation starter. 

This is an interesting one. I think that one of the secrets for an introvert to compete in an extroverted world is to start a conversation with a complete stranger from time to time and one of the best ways to do that is to use the power of observation. So if the person next to you is reading a book that you may know well you should comment on it. Start a conversation. Although a friend of mine said to me that he started a conversation on the train the other day and the other person couldn't get away from him fast enough.


17. People interrupting your thoughts, and you get irrationally angry. 

I'm not sure about this one. Maybe it is the classic one when the girlfriend asks the boyfriend that question, "what are you thinking about?" Nine times out of ten the guy is usually not thinking about anything. You can see more information in the video below.


18. Having to say "I kind of want to spend some time by myself" when you have to deal with that friend who always wants to hang out. 

This is a difficult one because you don't want to let your friend down but you really need time to recharge by yourself. I think that you have to treat this case by case. If you feel like it, by all means go out and have that beer however when you don't feel like it, don't do it. You have to be strong and say no thank you, how about another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment