"Fake it until you make it." Have you heard this phrase? I'm sure you have. What does it actually mean?
Fake it until you make it basically means to act like something so that in the end you can become that something. For example if you want to become confident then act confident.
"Just be confident" is one of those phrases that means absolutely nothing. When someone gives you advice that starts with "Just ... " run away, run away fast.
There are some things that you can do that help you become confident. Lets have a look at some of them:
1. Smile. When you smile you suddenly feel better. You don't feel depressed or drained. How can you feel depressed when you have a big smile on your dial? A smile is an instant mood lifter and it is healthier than Red Bull or a strong coffee. One of the coaches at my gym suggests that I smile more. I must admit when you are halfway through a 20 minute AMRAP* WOD* smiling is the last thing on your mind but it does work. Try it.
2. Strong posture. Recently, someone at my gym suggested that I really pull my shoulders back when I attempt a lift. I followed her advice and it has helped my lifting. I have now being walking around Tokyo with my shoulders back and really making an effort and stick my chest out. I tell you something it work great. When I walk around like that I feel stronger and 100 times more confident than before.
3. Dress to impress. I don't know about you but there is nothing better for a man than putting on a nice suit, nicely polished shoes. Some men like a good tie. I'm not a tie man myself but I nice suit does wonders and you walk around feeling good about yourself. What is that saying, 'the clothes make the man.'
4. Listen to some music. As I write this I've got my earphones in and I'm listening to some music. It sounds good and it is making me feel alive and well even though I am dead tired. I feel very positive about today's post and it is just relaxing and making the whole experience fun. If you are feeling down, put on some music, I'm sure you will feel a lot better.
5. Copy leaders. A good way to really build your confidence up is to act like someone else that you admire. If you try to act like them and make it consistent then over time you are going to see big changes in your whole manner and appearance.
If you believe in "fake it until you make it" why don't you try some of these things? What is the worst thing that can happen? You might become more confident and what is wrong with that?
* AMRAP = As Many Reps As Possible
* WOD = Workout Of the Day