Thursday 29 September 2016

Unconventional is a good word

I was reading a book the other day and it said to make a list of your strengths. So I did.

It is quite difficult to do it for yourself as you might not see things that other people see so it is good to get someone else to help you out with this exercise.

I asked my friend to help me out. A list came back from my friend with twice as many items on the list than I had written.

One of the items on the list was that I am unconventional. That word stopped me in my tracks. Have you ever been called unconventional? (I'm sure you have probably been called a lot worse in your time but this one was an interesting one.)

For a split second I thought that unconventional was a negative word. Why? Because we are brought up in a society in which we are encouraged to fit in. To toe the party line so to speak. People who are a little bit different are on occasions ostracised but it is these people, the ones who don't toe the party line that seem to make some kind of a difference in our lives. These people are laughed at, they are called names, they are asked why they are doing what they are doing until they become successful and then everyone wants to be their friend or at the very least they want to know how you did it.

So when someone calls me unconventional, I'll take that as a big fat compliment.

When I think about it I probably am unconventional. I know someone in my family used to joke and may still do from time to time that there is the right way to do something. There is the wrong way to do something and then there is the Blair way.

I was thinking about that today, I suppose I do do things a little bit differently. Let me give you an example. A very simple example at least. I noticed the guy sitting opposite me on the train had his sleeves rolled up on his business shirt. He did it the conventional way of rolling the sleeve outwards while I like to roll the sleeve inwards. Does that make sense?

It is just a little bit different from conventional methods but I like it.

Remember, it is ok to be unconventional. It is ok to be a little bit different. If it worries you, try this, just think that the other people are the strange ones for doing it their way. Hey it works for me, it might work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment