Tuesday 6 September 2016

Tony Robbins' Human Needs: Uncertainty

As much as we want certainty  in our lives we also need a little bit of uncertainty. Too much certainty in our lives is quite boring. That's why we do things like take risks and maybe gamble occasionally. Who doesn't like the occasional flutter, right? I know I do. Race 6 Number 2 at Awapuni is my choice.

The quality of your life is in direct proportion to the level of uncertainty you can comfortably live with. This is an important factor in all of this.

Everyone is different with the amount of certainty and uncertainty they can have in their respective lives.

When we have too much certainty in our lives we look for ways to correct the balance and do things that might not normally be on the schedule. By this we might go skydiving or bungee jumping. These kind of things can have a positive effect on your confidence but there are other things like having an affair that can have a negative affect on your life.

Uncertainty can be a daunting prospect. It takes time to build your uncertainty muscles. An example would be when a guy approaches a woman. There is uncertainty there because you are not sure how she is going to react. She might be pleased to talk to you or she might flat out reject you which is not much fun at all, believe me.

There are positive and negative ways to get uncertainty in your life. Positive ways can be things like:

Doing something new: I know that when I started this blog I had no idea where it was going but I was able to build my uncertainty muscle that it has become a daily part of my life. Now I think I'm going to have to bring some uncertainty in my blog again. I know how I'm going to do that. Stay tuned.

Changing jobs: You can acquire different skills and this keeps you happy with the variety in your life. I suppose even inside the same company you can change your job that will keep you fresh and looking forward to the new challenge.

Drinking alcohol: This can bring uncertainty because in some people it helps them lose their inhibitions and who knows what could happen. Although in saying that, don't binge. This could really be a problem and this is where it becomes negative because it becomes an addiction which then becomes a certainty.

Food: I remember a few years ago I was back in New Zealand and it was my birthday. I was asked what I wanted to eat and I said Korean food. You have to realise that Korean food is not that well known in provincial New Zealand. Some people were happy with the uncertainty of Korean food while others were not at all.

Trying different dishes is a chance to build your uncertainty muscle. I have heard about Sichuan food from China. I would like to try it but I'm not sure. That sense of uncertainty is quite difficult to break.


The negative ways to get uncertainty in your life are:

Drugs: We take drugs for the feelings that it will bring and also like alcohol it allows you to shed your inhibitions. I've heard that sex is great under the influence of marijuana but if you start having it too much then it becomes an addiction and that makes it a certainty which we are trying to avoid.

Gambling: This is another one that can become an addiction and then it is not good. I gamble maybe once a year, hardly an addiction but there are some people who almost make a living out of it. (I'm not talking about poker here, I'm talking about gambling on the horses or the like.)

Starting a punch up: I walked past a couple of guys this morning who had obviously just beaten the s**t out of each other. They were probably bored and they had nothing better to do so they decided to take that boredom out on each other. This kind of thing might be a way to get your uncertainty but it is dangerous. Some guys may get really drunk which is certainty for them so to get that uncertainty they start a fight.

We should all look for situations outside of our comfort zone but make sure they are good for you. Make sure that they are not going to hurt you in the long run.

I have to repeat this: The quality of your life is governed by how much uncertainty you can live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment