Friday 16 September 2016

Focusing on the Present Moment

Earlier this year I was talking with one of the coaches at the gym. I mentioned that I had a lot of things on my mind and that I wasn't all there when I was practicing my clean and jerk.

He said that potentially that could be quite dangerous. When you are lifting heavy objects above your head and you are not in the moment, I agree it could be quite dangerous.

The coach asked me for my postal address and he said that he would send me a book. I thought that he was just going to send me a book that he had on his bookshelf and I would return it to him at some stage. To my absolute surprise a brand new book from Amazon was in my letterbox a few short days later. I was very surprised and very grateful. I had heard about the book before but I had never read it.

To be quite honest, the book didn't really interest me until now. Do you know that saying when the student is ready the teacher will arrive or something similar? Well I think now is the time to read the book, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

I think a lot of people, introverts and extroverts alike are swimming in thoughts about both the past and the future. I know that personally I will have thoughts in my head concerning things I said or did many years ago and I will feel bad about those things. Isn't that ridiculous? I can't change what I did or said but I still feel pangs of guilt.

Likewise I get worried about the future when what I should be doing is concentrating on the task I have in front of me and then if I do that job properly then the future should and probably will take care of itself.

I know that myself and I'm sure a majority of other introverted people have millions of thoughts floating around in their heads and they are struggling to deal with the present moment. Hopefully with the help of The Power of Now and can bring myself back to the present situation and focus on the now and let the bad and weird memories from the past disappear into the abyss.

I will start reading The Power of Now and I will report back to you in a couple of weeks after I have finished it to tell you what I have learned, hopefully a great deal.

                               

No comments:

Post a Comment