We are going through the '21 signs that you might actually be an ambivert' article. Today we are onto number 8.
8. You can often go out and have hours of fun being the life of the party, but suddenly find that your energy has dropped, and all you really want to do is go home.
Yep, this describes me to a tee. I like going out as much as the next person but in saying that it does take some effort to get me out. My friend always says that it takes a lot of work to get me out. He jokes about trying to get me to an event last year in which I was curious about but was a little bit apprehensive about going to. He said it was hilarious seeing me lying on my bed in the foetal position trying to play dead. In the end we did go out and it was an interesting event and I did have a good time.
I am like any ambivert in which I enjoy my time out but I have a limit and I am ready to go home. Me wanting to go home is about when my friend's red bull kicks in and he is ready to get the night started literally and until recently he couldn't understand why I wanted to go home. We have discovered that my energy had literally run out whereas he had been stimulated by the music, the people, the drink and maybe even the smoke and he was ready to go and he couldn't understand why I wanted to go home even though it was 4am.
So, what can you do in this situation? Here are some ideas:
1. Set a go home time. I can almost guarantee that your extroverted friend will say something like, "Why don't we just see what happens and then reevaluate after." If he or she says that, don't cave in. Tell him or her that if you go home then at that time, then it will be easier next time for you to go out. They will kick up a fuss but stick to your guns.
2. Take the lead and go to places that you like to go to. If you let your extroverted friend lead you, you will be going to places that you are very uncomfortable in and this will take your energy away even quicker than normal.
3. Make sure that you choose places that are not that stimulating. Your extrovert friend will find it extremely boring but you have to insist that you will have a great time there and more people will turn up later. (Lie if you have to.)
4. If all else fails just get hideously drunk. You won't remember anything and you will be told that next day while you are nursing your headache that you were the life of the party and you had a great time. (This is probably not the best idea but it will get you through the night.)
Just remember your limitations and remind yourself that it is fun and that you will benefit more from socialising than sitting at home. Have fun!