Tuesday 17 May 2016

Facebook: Sharing

People who use Facebook usually share various things. When I first started using Facebook I would often share photos. However, now with things like Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat you can share your photos in many different places.

I haven't shared many photos on Facebook recently. I have been using Instagram a lot more for that. On Facebook I tend to share articles, videos and memes as opposed to photographs.

On the 11th of March, 2011, Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg really earned his billions and billions of dollars. People at that time used Facebook to spread information around Japan about the situation in Fukushima. Facebook became a very important thing for foreigners living in Japan. They were able to Facebook to keep in contact with the people back in their home countries and they were able to keep everyone calm as a lot of the news channels were showing that Japan was doomed. Through Facebook, families all over the world were able to find out that that wasn't necessarily the case.

Actually after the earthquake I went home to New Zealand. By doing that I became a Flyjin. Flyjin is a made up word that foreign people who remained in Japan called the foreigners who went back to their home countries.

Through Facebook I am also able to keep up to date with the latest news. In fact it was through Facebook that I first discovered that the legendary All Blacks' rugby winger Jonah Lomu had passed away.

As an ambivert I might not be able to share my opinions at a party but I might be able to do it on Facebook.

Although there are many good things, there are a few bad things as well. An example of this would be the people who share too much. I'm not saying that they share once a day but they share things over 10 times a day. At the end of the day it is basically noise and it can be frustrating as you go through your newsfeed.

Another bad thing is the incidence of online bullying. When people who don't understand or agree with your opinion get online they can sometimes with the veil of anonymity get quite nasty and it is not a good situation. There have been some cases of suicide because of online bullying.

Facebook if it is used properly is a great tool. You can see lots of interesting things. You can read interesting articles, watch funny videos. You can find out about current events and you can also find good jokes to laugh about.

No comments:

Post a Comment