Sunday 24 April 2016

To lie or not to lie, that is the question.

Is it OK to lie? That is the question that I want to answer today. Well, the answer is yes and no. I'm sure most of you guys out there have had this question, "Do I look fat in this?" Even if she does, you lie and say no. That's pretty obvious and depending on her mood you will get a big kiss or be told that you are lying. Anyway white lies are OK because as Forrest Gump's mother said, "they don't hurt anyone." That also reminds me of a scene from Friends where Ross and Rachel were teaching Chandler about lying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChEu7r7-kWw

"Do I look fat?" "No!"

"Does size matter?" "No!"

As Ross says it does go both ways.

However I have found in my experience that in the battle of the sexes in respect to lying there are different rules. It seems to me that women expect the man to be 100% honest but in saying that will have no problem in lying to the man. Double standard? The reason for that is that if the woman decides to lie that she can justify by thinking that the man might do something crazy and she will be in mortal danger which in some instances is a valid concern. So in that case lying is fine.

Last night I went out with a woman who said that she expects the man to be 100% honest and to never lie. Fair enough I thought until we started talking about age and it turned out that she had lied to me. She was 5 years older than she had said originally. Hmmm, "I expect you to be 100% honest but I can lie about my age."

I think in the above case it is not good to lie about age. At the end of the day age is just a number and you are only as old as you feel, so why lie about it?

Anyway, lets answer the question, is it ok to lie and the answer is as I said at the start, it depends. It depends on the situation and whether it will hurt anyone either physically or emotionally. Also you have to really think about it too. You might think the little lie doesn't hurt anyone but it could be a big ton of bricks on the other person. So proceed with caution.



This blog was discontinued as of June 19th, 2018.

Please check my two new projects:

http://www.situationalextrovert.com

Also, my new daily blog which will begin from July 1st, 2018:

https://doing-the-opposite.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment