Thursday 28 April 2016

HABITS Part 1

This article appeared on my Facebook feed this morning. It was very interesting so I thought that I would take the time today to comment on it and give my opinion on the habits of self-made millionaires. This article was written about this book written by Thomas C. Corley. Anyway, lets go through the first 7 habits today and look at the final 6 tomorrow. Sounds good?

1. They read consistently.

A few years ago my friend and I read a book called Focal Point written by Brian Tracy. In that book he suggested that you get up early and read for one hour in your field. By field I don't mean going out into the farm and sitting in the paddock but reading about your business or career. So if you are a salesperson, read about sales. My friend and I took this advice and it has taken on a life of its own in which we affectionately call it GH or Golden Hour. It has had other names over the years but it remains the same, read, summarise, and then send to the other bloke to summarise and send back. Reading is great. But as the heading says, do it consistently.

2. They exercise.

Well, I must admit that I exercised my arse off today. I had to drink a lot of water to replace all the sweat but I did it. Did you? According to this article the more you exercise the smarter you become. I know a few people who are examples that that suggestion may not be entirely true but what do I know? Exercise is good. That is undisputed.

3. They hang out with other successful people. 

Yep. I better find some successful friends. How do you define success though? Is it how big their bank account is? I suppose that depends on what you think. I'm sure there are some successful sportsman out there who don't have a lot of money coming in but they are successful in their chosen sports and are going to Rio this year.

4. They pursue their own goals. 

This is an interesting one. Many people pursue something that other people want them to do and it isn't really what they want to do or what they are passionate about but it is hard to go against expectation. It is a gamble and you could get the whole "I told you so" getting chucked in your face but if you are really passionate about it, go for it and as I saw on Instagram this morning nobody cares once you start making money.

5. They get up early.

This is a difficult one for most of us. I know that I think I am a morning person but I'm not really. I suppose you can develop that habit. It seems that this getting up at 5am is a good thing. I should try it. Oh that's right, I am. I better set my alarm for 5am tomorrow morning now. Tomorrow is a public holiday here and it would be very easy to sleep in.

6. They have multiple sources of income.

This is a crucial one and something that I haven't come to terms with yet. I need to start producing stuff so that it can creating income while I sleep. Any ideas?

7. They find and check in with mentors.

Got to find myself a mentor. It seems that this is crucial. I don't know about you but I find that the most intimidating one.
"Hi! I haven't got any money and my current situation is shit but can you help me so I can have the same amount of success and the same number in my bank account as you?" That's scary.

OK everyone that is the first seven habits. We will look at the final 6 tomorrow. In the mean time I have just bought Thomas C Corley's book and will start reading it as part of my Golden Hour reading now. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment