Monday 9 January 2017

Anthony Hopkins and the World's Fastest Indian

Burt Munro.

Do you know this name?

I didn't until this movie came out in 2005. The World's Fastest Indian is about Burt Munro, a speed bike racer from Invercargill at the bottom of the South Island in New Zealand.


The movie is based on Burt Munro's attempt to beat a land speed record on his modified Indian motorcycle.

I have watched this movie several times and I also recently watched the 1972 documentary that a lot of the movie is based on and in both the documentary and the movie Burt Munro is portrayed as an outgoing, gregarious old man. Even in the documentary the word extrovert was mentioned.

With these biopics you need to take things with a pinch of salt as you know that some of it is based on fact and other parts of it are not so much.

For example, in the movie we see Burt Munro would every morning urinate next to the lemon tree on his property. We know now that Burt Munro actually didn't do that and it was actually the director's father who did that.

What we could see as plain as day in the movie was Burt Munro's outgoing nature. He was able to make friends very easily and they seemed to want to help him.

This got me thinking. Would someone, who has a quieter nature, who isn't as outgoing, been able to get people to help him or her as easily as Burt Munro could?

I don't know. My gut feeling is that probably not. I can't imagine a quieter guy getting the type of assistance that Burt Munro was able to get in the movie. Obviously, as I said before, it is a movie so get out the salt shaker but in my experience outgoing guys do tend to get help from people. Outgoing guys and beautiful women. Everyone seems to want to help these people.

Is this sour grapes? Not at all. What I am saying is that someone who identifies as an introvert may have to come out of his or her shell on occasions to get what they want.

If you are not able to speak out in a friendly and eloquent way then people may ignore you.

I know from experience that just being that little bit more outgoing will get you what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment