I know that the message out there is that you should be happy with who you are and accept that that is who you are. I think that is fine to a degree however there are going to be times when you need to show some extrovert characteristics.
Examples of times when you may need to display extrovert characteristics are:
- Making a presentation
- Teaching a class
- Making a speech at a wedding
- Selling something
- At a friend's party
- When you are leading a project
- Cold calling
For an introvert, these kind of occasions could be seen as scary or a hassle and there maybe occasions where you might not want to do them but life isn't like that and the successful people are the ones who do those kind of things whether they want to do them or not.
So, what kind of things can you do to help you go from an introvert to being like the guy in the right of the photo below. He is an introvert, by the way.
1. You have to try and do one thing that is out of your comfort zone each and other day. This doesn't necessarily mean jumping out of a plane or jumping off a bridge with a rubber band attached to your ankles. No, it might mean starting up a conversation with the person next to you on the train or asking for a refill when you know that there is no refill available. Whatever you would feel uncomfortable doing, you should try.
2. I know that this might sound like hell to some of you but you need to get out and talk, talk and talk some more. Extroverts love a party and they love talking so you need to get into the habit of talking. By starting a conversation your mindset should be that you are making their day better by entering their life and saying hi.
3. Find you strengths. A lot of us don't really take the time to sit down and really discover our strengths. Also try to discover what you are really interested in and put your heart into learning those things. This will enable you to connect with other people who enjoy those same things and if you really know the subject then people are going to listen to you because you are going to sound knowledgable and confident.
I know before and even now when I don't know the subject too well, people can sense it and quickly take over the conversation if they think that they know more than you do but if they sense that you know what you are talking about then they will shut up and listen and this will really help your confidence.
We live in an extroverted world and we need to "come out of our shells" on a regular basis so it would be better to practice it on a regular basis.
Don't be scared get yourself out of your comfort zone from time to time and watch how your confidence grows and grows until you are comfortable in most situations in your life.