Thursday 1 March 2018

The Question of Doom

"What do you do?"

I despise this question.

What are you asking?

Basically what you are asking is that you want a title so that you can pigeon hole me into your narrow version of what the world should be.

The other day I was talking to a woman on a dating app. We had matched twice already  and for whatever reason she had deleted me. I think the first time she deleted me was because I didn't reply in a 'timely' manner. Thirty seconds was too slow for her. The next time we chatted for a bit longer and then she deleted me. The third time (I should have noticed this but I am a glutton for punishment) we had a longer chat and then she couldn't help herself and she asked me that dreaded question:

"What do you do?"

I attempted to explain. But because it didn't fit into her small reality of jobs, i.e.


               BUTCHER



                BAKER



        CANDLESTICK MAKER

She grew tired of that line of questioning. She told me that I was a crazy guy (Hey! It takes one to know one.) and proceeded to delete me for the third time.

Good riddance I say. I also deleted that app and vowed to never load it again. We have to get out from behind those little screens and get out and talk to real people and listen to real stories and look for real body language.

When someone asks you that question:

"What do you do?"

Then tell them what you do. They have asked you for a verb so tell them exactly what you do. If they don't understand then it is their fault for asking a stupid question.

No comments:

Post a Comment