Saturday 17 December 2016

What we can learn from Real Estate brokers. Well one in particular.

Have you seen the American reality series, Million Dollar Listings? This is a series about real estate brokers in New York City.


Without a doubt the star of the show is Fredrik Eklund, the Swedish broker who has taken the New York market by storm over the last ten years. He is known for his high kick and also his book, The Sell. as well as being the number one agent in New York.


I started reading his book recently and I'm only a few pages into it and already I have found something that really resonates with me.

I'll write it out:

It is much better to be dumped by your client - or your coach or lover - for being out there and memorable than for being too withdrawn and easily forgotten.

AND

People will always forgive you - probably adore you - for being eccentric, but they will never forgive you (if they even notice you) for being boring.

Isn't that interesting?

Lets look at each of those:

It's better to be dumped by your client .... Wait a moment. It's better to be dumped? I thought that it wasn't good to be dumped at anytime.

My friend used to make fun of me. He would say, "Blair, making an impact again." What he meant was that I was not making an impact. I was not being outgoing. I wasn't really talking to anyone and I was very, very forgettable.

I believe that I have changed that over the years. I'm a bit more outgoing with people I don't know and I also believe that the beard has made a little bit of a difference.

What do you think?


The second part about being eccentric because people will probably adore you is something that is very difficult for us to accept. The whole idea about putting yourself out there can be very difficult to do because you don't want to be judged and that is something shy people and to a certain extent introverted people may not be able to handle. Shyness is the fear of social judgement so putting yourself out there can be very, very difficult in deed.

The generic advice about being yourself is not the greatest advice because we know that in this extroverted society, as an introvert you might not get far.

At the end of the day it is all about getting yourself out of your comfort zone from time to time. It is like building a muscle you train it daily and before long it will be at a stage that you want.

So, what is the advice? Try to get yourself out of your comfort zone at least once a day. Whatever it is, you need to do it once a day and when it becomes second nature, then you move onto something else.

Get out there and try to make that impact. There is only one you so you might as well make it a good one.

It certainly looks like Fredrik has made the most of his abilities and personality and so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment