Thursday 29 December 2016

Give it a chance. You might enjoy it.


You are probably wondering what this is a photo of. Quite frankly I was a little confused as well. This is a photo of the beginning of the Double Decker Derby. (Try saying that fast three times.)

This is a photo from the Central Energy Trust Arena and the Robertson Holden International Speedway in Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Now, your next question is why am I talking about this?

Well, I went along to this meeting the other day. Palmerston North is my hometown and they have had speedway meetings since 1929. So it is an institution in the city. When the wind is blowing a certain way you can hear the cars across the city and I'm sure that it was no different the other night.


Anyway, my point today is that this was something I haven't been to for more than 25 years. The Speedway has an image that only a certain type of people go along. Let me introduce you to Australia and New Zealand slang. The word is bogan. This is a derogatory term for a type of person who may be considered unsophisticated in today's society. I suppose the American equivalent would be redneck.

The Speedway is said to attract these kind of people, bogans. Some people would wonder why I went.

 I think that is unfair on people who attend. I looked around at the crowd. There were people of all ages there. There were families there. There groups of friends. To me it seemed like a good night out. I couldn't really tell who these bogan people were. All I could see were people enjoying the action and entertainment that the speedway provides as.

Admittedly I wouldn't want to go every week but it would certainly be something that I would think about going to once a year or so.

My point today is even though a certain event has an image, you don't necessarily need to believe that stereotype. Go along with an open mind and you might just enjoy it.

Darts is another sport or event that you might have an image of but if you gave it a chance you might enjoy it. I know I do.

Just because something has an image, it doesn't mean you should dismiss it. Give it a chance. You might find out that you have been missing something special.




No comments:

Post a Comment