Friday 11 May 2018

Are people who are not on social media, weirdos?

I read this article today. I found it very interesting especially the "being relevant" part.

This article  was written by a 17 year old and without trying to sound condescending, it shows maturity way beyond his years. Lets just say that I wish that I had that kind of maturity when I was 17.

Basically the article is about the young man deleting all of his social media. Whether he deleted the app from his phone or he deleted all of his accounts, outright, I am not sure but in 2018 I believe that kind of action shows a lot of balls.

He says that his "friends" look at him as a loser and that he is weird because he has decided to break away from the herd and not do what everyone else is doing.

This reminds me of a quote. I've seen it attributed to Jim Carrey but I'm not 100% sure:

"I saw a guy at Starbucks today. He had no smartphone, tablet, or laptop. He just sat there drinking his coffee. Like a psychopath."

I know that this quote is taking the mickey about people like that and I know that I am one of those kind of people. I can't just sit there and enjoy my coffee or whatever I am drinking. I have to be always connected.

This begs the question, why do we always have to know what our friends have had for breakfast or what cocktails they consumed the day before? (Instagram)

We waste a lot of time on social media when we don't need to. We really need to get out and meet people in the real world.

What is that people say and joke about? They only post things that show them in the best light. They never post photos of them sitting in a mess on the bedroom floor.

Don't hide behind your screen thinking that you are being social. Guess what? You are not being social. Get up! Get outside! Hell! Get laid even (if you are that way inclined).

Just in case you are wondering, I have now deleted Facebook, Instagram and Twitter from my phone. I haven't deleted the accounts. I can still access them on my laptop. It just means that I can focus on other things when I am sitting on the train, maybe even talk to someone sitting next to me. (They might think I am weird but who cares? That is their thinking, not mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment