Thursday 19 April 2018

BE ENTHUSIASTIC, ASK QUESTIONS, SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES

When you a go to a networking event or even on a first date do know what a lot of people do? You have probably been guilty of it. I know I have.

You ask question after question after question after question until the person says, "This is like a job interview." (Believe me, I have had that experience.)

So what do you do?

Conversations are a two way street. It isn't just question, answer, question, answer and so on. If you are asking the questions, you need to veer off the script on occasions. You need to talk about your own experiences.

Lets see if I can come up with an example:

You: So, where did you go to college?

Them: I went to Billabong State. I was an interesting school.

You: Really? I've heard some interesting things about that school. What did you major in there?

Them: I majored in psychology. It was a very interesting course and I would recommend it to anyone.

You: Wow! I have always been interested in psychology. I did the Myers Briggs test the other day and it was an interesting test. I learned things about myself that I would have never known. Have you done it?


See? You not just checking off a check box. Asked that question? Check. Asked that question? Check. No you are sounding enthusiastic about their answers and are giving some of your experience too.

Remember, life is not a list as Heath Ledger said once:

"Everyone you meet always asks if you have a career, are married or own a house as if life was some kind of grocery list. But nobody ever asks if you are happy."



Act enthusiastic. Ask interesting questions and share your experiences. You can't lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment