Wednesday 25 April 2018

ANZAC Day 2018 - Lest we Forget

Dear Grandad, Dear Poppa

I thought that I would use this day to say G'day and I hope that you are both doing well wherever you are.

Grandad, I think of you most days as I live near a Dunlop stockist. Everyday I walk past the store and think of you in the office in Princess Street.

I also wonder what you would think of the T20 cricket that dominates the cricketing landscape these days. You would probably be fascinated by it all. 

Poppa, I never did (and still don't) share your fondness of grapefruit and gin but I still like watching rugby.

Three months ago you would have been reunited with Nan. I hope you two are enjoying your time together again. One of my favourite memories of you was our last time at Mount Maunganui together. I was only 11 but I remember that holiday like it was only yesterday. 



Today I want to say thank you to both of you. You both left New Zealand shores when you were young. You both went to places that you had never been to before and probably never went to again. You went their for your country and for your family and because you believed in something. Because of you, both myself and your other grandchildren are able to live lives of freedom and opportunity. We take it for granted but we have both of you to thank for it.

Love Blair.



April 25th, 2018.




No comments:

Post a Comment