Saturday 23 September 2017

Do I (and you) really need to know this stuff?

I saw this article the other day. 37 Rules all Men Must Know. I read this with interest. I wondered what these rules were and I wondered if I follow them or not.

Anyway, here is the list with my thoughts on some of them.

What do you think?

1. Know what you want. Don’t go around asking for approval. -  I agree with this one, 100%. I read a quote recently and I think that it really applies here - "It is easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission." This is so true.

2. Always love and respect your parents. - I love ya' Mum and Dad. See you at Christmas time.

3. Never cheat on your girlfriend/wife. - Yep. When I hear stories of both men and women cheating on their significant others, especially married couples it makes me think that they shouldn't have got married in the first place

4. On the bus always give up your seat to the elderly, pregnant women, and mothers with their kids. - I live in Tokyo, Japan and as you can probably imagine a lot of time is taken travelling in the train. There are, like I suspect in many big cities, priority seats on the train for the elderly etc. I try not to sit in these seats and obey the rules around them. i.e. cell phones near these seats.



5. Don’t lend money to your family. Give it.

6. Don’t put others down. - I agree with this one. Why do it? I have no problem joking with someone as long as you are close to them and they know what the joke is and you are sure that they won't take it to heart. 

7.Don’t participate in gossip. - Yep. Why do it? https://dailyrbl.blogspot.jp/2017/09/get-rid-of-these-bad-habits.html

8. Exercise. - I went to Crossfit this morning. This might not be everyone's cup of tea so pick something that you enjoy and you get it going. This one is non-negotiable.



9. At the gym wear nice clothes. You will interact with a lot of different kinds of professionals there and first impressions are everything. - What's the point of this one? I don't get it. Surely the first impression is probably how much you bench as opposed to what t-shirt you are wearing. 

10. Don’t ever take selfies. - Take them. Who cares? If you want to take a selfie, take a bloody selfie.



11. In emails and texts don’t use short form. -Yep, I agree with this one. This applies to women as well as men. What is so uncool about proper grammar?

12.No matter how mad you may be at your family, keep it in the family.

13. Don’t brag.

14. Listen. Girls like to talk about themselves. All I can say about this is YES!!!!

15. Never use the term: “Shit happens.” Put in more efforts into comforting that person.

16. If talking to someone you don’t want to, make a polite excuse and leave. - There is nothing wrong with this. Why waste your time with someone that doesn't add value to your life at all?

17. Never talk religion with anyone. Keep it to yourself. - No comment.

18. Don’t follow others. - I agree with this one big time. This one is really difficult to follow if you know what I mean. When you don't follow the herd you put yourself out there for ridicule but you need to, to get where you want. 

19. Don’t waste your life away being on your phone and computer all the time. - I am guilty of this. So why don't you and I take one day off from your phone and computer a week? How would that work? Maybe you could choose a Sunday and throw away the phone. 



20. When making plans, call. Don’t text. - Texting can be a big pain in the ass. As it seems to take forever to organise anything, so just make the call and get it over with. If the other person doesn't like it. Tell them to go and get stuffed.

21. Know how to fix things around the house. 

22. Don’t be intimidated by anyone.

23. Know how to fight. - By fight, do you mean with your mouth? You mean have good debating skills? I hope this one has nothing to do with your fists.

24. Have hobbies. - If you don't have hobbies, what do you do with your time? By the way, sleeping is not a hobby. That's like saying that your hobby is going to the toilet. I can accept that eating is a hobby as people like to go to different types of restaurants.

25. Don’t be afraid to go and watch a movie alone. - It is OK to do things alone. You don't need to be in a group of people all the time. You need that time alone and you need that solitude and if you don't, don't give people who need to be alone grief for not wanting to join your social activities.

26. Learn to be patient and relaxed.

27. Never stop learning new skills. - Learn a language. Learn how to code. Any other ideas?

28. Read books and keep the mind fresh.

29. Read the newspaper. - Does anyone read newspapers these days? I know I get all my news from the Internet. I suppose the newspaper does have everything in one place.



30. You don’t need a reason to buy your mom flowers. - Happy Birthday Mum.

31. Never split the check. Always pay it. - If she offers, I'd take it. What's wrong with that? I think it is nice.

32. Play chess at least twice a week. Keeps the mind super fresh. - I can't remember the last time I played chess. 



33. Buy your mom flowers for no reason.

34. Own a pair of expensive sunglasses, gloves and nice scarf. -How does your sunglasses brand mean anything about what kind of man you are? I don't get it. "I have a pair of Oakleys." "Oh wow! What a man you are."

35. Own at least two nice watches.

36. Use a money clip. Not a wallet. - What's wrong with a wallet? Where do you put your driver's licence? Where do you put your ID card? I don't get this one at all.

37. Don’t buy things you can’t afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment