Thursday 17 August 2017

When phones are not so smart

I'm in a bad mood today, so there may well be bad language as I get something off my chest.

Smartphones are ubiquitous. While I'm writing this post, I can see three people in my eye line who are looking at their smartphones. (I'm going to look at mine now.)



I don't have a problem with this. I must admit that I am forever checking my phone and to be honest, it isn't very cool. I will sit in bed for hours, just reading articles, watching videos and basically day dreaming. Is it the new form of TV? I think that yes it is.

I should really change my habits and maybe then I can sleep a little bit better than I have been recently.

Today's post (rant) is about people who need to walk along the street with their heads down looking at their phones. It is really annoying.

Today I was walking along a narrow street and the Dominos Pizza delivery guy on his scooter had to avoid the guy who was walking all over the street with his head down looking at his phone.

Sometimes, when I'm feeling in a bad mood I will deliberately walk towards someone with his or her head down looking at their phone in a passive-aggressive attempt to make a point. Sometimes I will get an apology which is fine. At least they know they are doing something dumb.

Other times I will get a glare as if it is my fault that we just about bumped into each other. That really gets my goat.

What I know is, if you walk along the street with your eye constantly on your smartphone screen you are basically missing life. You miss seeing the scenery that is going by. You miss the hip new shop that has just opened. Hell, you might even miss the man/woman of your dreams walking by who wants to smile at you but you don't see it because your head is down and concentrating on that email that you have already read five times that morning.

Smartphones are great. They are one of the best inventions of the 21st century but do we really need to have it on our person 25 hours a day? (By the way, I do know that one day is 24 hours.)

Look up. Look around. You never know what you might find or see.

No comments:

Post a Comment