Thursday 6 August 2020

MY DAY IN HIROSHIMA

Today is August 6th. It is a very significant day in world history. 75 years ago today, a nuclear weapon was detonated over the city of Hiroshima killing thousands of people.

Thinking about it now, I can't even begin to imagine the scene on that day. Horrific is one word that comes to mind. 

About four years ago, my father and I had the opportunity to go to Hiroshima and observe the Atomic Bomb Dome in the middle of the city. It was a very moving experience for me. Even though it was abut 35 degrees I felt cold looking at the dome. I shivered on a couple of occasions.  I couldn't understand why people would want to drop this horrific creation of man on their fellow (innocent) man. I still can't understand it. 



2020 and this COVID-19 pandemic has brought out the best in people and unfortunately the worst in people. I know that stopping people doing stupid things is impossible but can't we give it a try?

I know that New Zealand prime minster, Jacinda Ardern gets a lot of flak from people about her urging for us to be kind to each other but do you know something, it isn't a bad idea. Be kind. How hard is that? Just because the guy over their doesn't have the same opinion as you, does that mean you should kill him. FFS, grow up. It's called debate, not kill everyone. 

I hope that nothing every happens like Hiroshima again. I also hope that the pandemic comes to an end very quickly and we come out the other side better for it. It's possible but it will be difficult.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from San Diego!

    I used to read your blog back in the day.

    Awesome to hear your back. Im looking forward to reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete