Tuesday 18 August 2020

"LET's HAVE A COFFEE SOME DAY": Yeah right

 How many times have you got a call from someone or even a Facebook message or something similar? You chat for a few minutes and then you get the dreaded line, well from my point of view anyway:

"LETS GET TOGETHER FOR A BEER SOME TIME."

Have you ever had that experience? 

What is the result of that line?

Yes, nothing or as my social studies teacher used to say "Zippity Doo Dah, Not a Sausage, Bugger All."

Why do people do this?

Is it just a way to end the conversation knowing full well that this will never happen? 

Is it another way of telling themselves that they don't want to have the coffee but they feel better that they said it?

What really gets my goat is that they say let's get together and they have the opportunity then and there to set something up and they never do.

"Let's have lunch some time."

What should you do if it ever happens to you? 

Well, I suggest saying "When?" That's all. Just the one word, "When?"

If they give you a time and place, then great. You are going to have a beer or coffee. If they say something like, "I'll text you and sort something out." Don't expect every to hear from them.

Why this annoys me is that it is putting pressure on you to take the lead. Of course being a leader is good in our society but why should I in this situation?

Anyway, rant over. Maybe I'm just having a bad day. 

By the way, usually these "invites" are from people I don't know well or haven't seen for a long time. Maybe in some instances, I don't really want to see them anyway. So I should be happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment