Saturday 11 June 2016

Rugby and events

Today is the All Blacks' first test match of the year. They are playing against Wales today in Auckland. For those of you who don't know who or what the All Blacks are, they are the New Zealand national rugby union team. They are historically, easily the best rugby team in the world and they are one of the top teams in international sport having won over three quarters of their games over more than 120 years.

So, what has this got to do with anything? Well, when I finish writing this I will be going down to the local sports bar to watch the game and if I can be bothered watch the England versus Australia game afterwards too.

I will wander on down to the pub by myself. I will find a spare table and set up shop there for the afternoon. I might see some people I know or like I often do, I may run into some New Zealanders who are here on business or are tourists who were looking for a place to watch the match.

I'm sure some of you are wandering what this has to do with anything and what has this got to do with the theme of this blog. Well, I don't care if I sit there by myself or if a few other people show up, I'm just there to enjoy the game. That's a typical ambivert, don't you think? Or maybe it is a case of being a rugby tragic. I don't know.

This series of three matches will run over the next three Saturdays. I have planned to watch the game today but next Saturday and the following Saturday I have been invited to functions. I'm torn between what I should do. Should I just say no and go and watch the rugby or should I get out of my comfort zone and go to these functions? One of the functions will be significantly easier than the other. To be quite honest I don't know why I have been invited to one of them and the other one, I would have been very disappointed if I wasn't invited. Half of me is saying that I should get out of my comfort zone and go along while the other half of me is saying just do what you want to do which is watch the rugby.

I have been preaching that you need to get out of your comfort zone and talk to different people etc and if I was to go to the pub then I wouldn't be practicing what I preach.

I think when you have a decision like this you need to think whether you are in leisure mode or in "work" mode. If I go to watch the rugby, will this help me relax and if I choose the other functions, how will me attending these things help me in the future? Will it help me if I go to the difficult function or is it going to be more trouble than it's worth? Ask yourself these kinds of questions before making these decisions. You will feel better.

Right, I do believe that it is beer o'clock and it is rugby time. Go the All Blacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment