Friday 28 April 2017

Some good, old-fashioned advice

Here is some good old-fashioned advice that I'm sure that most of you have heard from time to time or if you haven't, then I'm glad that you are going to hear it here.


1. Have a firm handshake.

My father taught me this one and I try to remember this every time I shake somebody's hand although I do catch myself sometimes being lazy.




2. Look people in the eye.

This relates to number one. Have a firm handshake and look the other person in the eye. (Also if you play golf, take your cap off at the end of the round when you shake hands. Thank you Tiger Woods for showing us that one.)


3. Sing in the shower.

I like to play music in the shower but I find the humidity in the shower plays havoc with my cell phone so I might abandon that plan. Your voice sounds great in the shower so why not do it?




4. Avoid sarcastic remarks.

I caught myself making a sarcastic remark a couple of weeks ago and I wasn't too proud of myself. Lets just say that you think that you are being funny but you are just making yourself look like a big idiot. Don't do it is the best advice I can give here.


5. Never give up on anybody. Miracles happen everyday.

All I can say is that this is great advice.


6. Lend only those books you never care to see again.

I remember a few years ago I lent a couple of books about Lance Armstrong to a client and I never saw them again. They were quite interesting books too, about his fight against cancer and his preparation for the Tour de France and his wins. Now we know that those books could be considered fiction but it would be still nice to have them back.


7. Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.

That would be difficult for me because I know a couple of over the top positive and enthusiastic people and if I could be only a quarter of enthusiastic as they are, I would be very, very happy.


8. Be bold and courageous. When you look back on life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more then the ones you did.

A few years ago I went to salsa dancing lessons. (Stop laughing) It was something that I always wanted to try out and I went six times.

I was absolutely, positively useless. I had the proverbial two left feet. I had no idea what I was doing and my attempts to "look cool" fell flat, but I tried. I risked embarrassment. I risked ridicule to give it a go and I have no regrets at all.

If there is something that you have always wanted to do, go do it. Don't worry what the other people are saying. They probably want to try it as well but don't have the guts to try.


(Unfortunately I didn't remotely look like the above picture. Oh well, you can only try.)

9. Give people a second chance, but not a third.

They might have been nervous. They might have been sick. They may have had a death in the family about the time you met them. They may not have had their life in order. You just met them at the wrong time. Give them a second chance. They might surprise you.


10. Show respect for everyone who works for a living regardless of how trivial their job.

I've seen a particular meme around the Internet of Barack Obama fist bumping a janitor or a cleaner. I don't know what the circumstances behind the photo were but what it is saying is that the former president of the United States of America respects everyone and quite frankly we should all do too.

(Here is the picture I am talking about. I think it is really cool)

This reminds me of Usain Bolt at the 2012 Olympics. Look at the following as Bolt makes the volunteer's year, maybe even decade.




11. Wave at the children on a school bus.

Hey, they are having fun, show them that you are a fun person. They will get a kick out of it and for a few seconds at the very least, you will have a smile on your face, so go for it.




12. Once in a while, take the scenic route.

Some people get really anxious and uncomfortable if you suddenly change the route. You are taking them out of their comfort zone and they are just not used to it. Don't be one of those people. Enjoy the scenic route. You might see things that you didn't know existed. You might see new places you want to check out later. There is nothing boring with it. Try it. It might surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment