Friday 23 August 2024

Using the other person's name

 When I was a high school student, I played a lot of cricket. It was my sport of choice in the summer. I played at a high-ish level and played against former - current - future international players. Not just cricketers but rugby players and footballers. 

What is interesting that one of my vivid memories of that time was nothing to do with cricket and it wasn't anything I witnessed as it happened on the sidelines as my team were fielding against our opposition. 

Because we were a high school team playing against men, we had a lot of our parents came and watched us for all or parts of the day.

One day, I came home from cricket and my mother was in an upbeat mood.



"I really like Jim Molesworth, Ryan's father."

"Why is that Mum?" I asked.

"He always says hello and uses my name." she said with a big smile on her face.

"He just says hello?"

"Yes. Hello Margaret. That's all."

"Do you ever talk about anything else?"

"Not usually, it is just a greeting. It makes my day."

I remember that conversation vividly and even to this day I try to refer to it.

I mean in the life of Joe Bloggs, who is the most important person in his life? His wife? His son? His daughter? His dog?

No. None of these. In the life of Mr. Bloggs, the most important person is himself. 

You are the most important person in your life. If you can help yourself then you can help other people. There is a reason why airlines encourage you to put on your own oxygen mask before helping other people. If you don't do that. If you don't protect yourself FIRST then how can protect another person? It doesn't work like that.

When you say that person's name, you are saying what is most important to that person.

Rather than just saying "good morning" or "hello" tomorrow, why don't you use there name (if you know it.)

"Hello Bill."

"Hello Mavis."

"Good morning Paul."

"Good morning Roberta." 

How easy is that? I'd say quite easy.

Do you know something? If you start saying their names, then I can bet that even if they don't know your name, they will soon after that. 

Trust me, I've seen it happen. Recently. When they use my name, it is a good feeling. Like I'm sure it is with them when I say their names.

Try it tomorrow. Also, if you don't know their name, introduce yourself, even to people who are walking along the same track as you. I'm sure that they will be happy to hear what your name is and hey, you might even make a new friend out of it. Who knows?

Good luck, tell me how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment