Saturday 17 August 2024

How to respond to the "past invitation."

One of those things that I find absolutely frustrating is when you are invited to something after the face.

I'll give you an example:

"Hi Blair. How are you? Did you have a good New Year's vacation? How did you spend New Year's Eve?

"Good thanks. Happy New Year to you. I spent New Year's Eve by myself at home relaxing."

"Really? You should have called us. We could have gone out together. We had a great time with 300 of my closest friends."

"Thank you. I'll remember that for next year."

How many of you have had this conversation on January the 5th? 

If you are anything like me, it annoys the hell out of me. It is such an easy thing to say and there is no responsibility to the words at all. It is just an empty invitation. 

This got me thinking, what are the appropriate responses to this? Here is a list of my ideas for that scenario.

1. "Thank you." (and walk away.)

2. "How was it? What did you do?" (I suppose this is the most "normal" way of answering it and something that can create a conversation and that it doesn't make you look too weird at all.

3. Change the subject.

4. "Let's go out to celebrate the new year anyway." When are you free? How about next Thursday?" (If the person actually meant it, then they will accept next Thursday or suggest another day. If it was just an empty platitude then you will see them squirm and make some kind of excuse and that they will call you "later." Another thing that will happen and this has happened to me is, they will accept your invite and then the day of they will come up with some kind of excuse why they can't go, sickness usually, and they will cancel on you. (This happened to me and I never went out with the person again. That person had their chance and didn't follow through on it.)

At the end of the day, your response is up to you and you have to decide to be "normal" or use some kind of passive aggressive thing that might give you a moment of amusement and be left off invitation lists for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment