Tuesday 16 March 2021

What I learned from One Hour Photo (part 2)

 On the 10th of December 2016 I wrote the following blog post.

https://dailyrbl.blogspot.com/2016/12/one-hour-photo.html

It was about the Robin Williams' movie One Hour Photo.


One Hour Photo is a psychological thriller. Over the weekend I revisited and I was thinking about what new learnings that I have had since December 10 2016.

1. The idea of having a purpose in life. I believe in this movie Sy Parrish (Robin Williams) had his purpose. He really revelled in the idea of serving people with their photo needs. He took great pride in it and he obviously loved it. 

2. In one of the scenes he says that Monday mornings was their busiest time of the week because people would spend their weekends taking photos and of course they would want them quickly to relive those experiences. In the voice-over, you could hear Sy talking about the customers and his observations of them. I know as an introvert I do that. In fact sometimes I could observe someone and give a 100% judgement (is that the correct word) of their life and personality. I know that i am probably wrong 99% of the time but I can't help myself. 

3. Some people want their cake and to eat it too. This applies to the husband. He had a lovely family. A beautiful and intelligent wife. A nice young son. What looked like a very cool house which according to IMDB was in Brentwood which according to my extensive "research" is one of the more affluent suburbs in Los Angeles. However he wanted more so he cheated on his wife with one of his employees. 

I've never had much time for people who cheat whether they be male or female. The fact that you don't want to have that talk to explain your side of the story means that you are a coward. 

4. If you shut yourself from society it can be extremely difficult to get back into that society. At the time of writing we are in the middle of a pandemic and many people are working from home which I believe has many advantages. Firstly there are not as many distractions. You can concentrate on your work without people pestering you every five minutes. Also you don't have to worry about your commute. It is five seconds from your bathroom to the office downstairs. Of course there are going to be some places he are flat out against that, like this one.

5. No one else is going to come and rescue you. You have to get up and rescue yourself. No one is going to come and wake you up in the morning and tell you that you better get going and do your work because quite frankly, they don't care. They might say they do, but they are more worried about themselves to worry about you. 

I'm sure I can think of other "learnings" but I'll leave it at that amount. 

It certainly is an interesting movie if a little dated. Apparently there are only 150 one hour photo places left in the United States of America. 

Rest in Peace Robin Williams. It is certainly good to see you in a role that wasn't your typical slapstick role. Actually, when i think of that, I do enjoy Dead Poets Society as well. That certainly was not a slapstick role at all.


O Captain, My Captain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment