Sunday 7 March 2021

Touching your cuff-links or picking at your skin - signs of anxiety, shyness, nervousness?

 Regular readers of my blog will know that I am a fan of The Crown. The Netflix series that started about four years ago in 2016 and continues to interest me after four series. I like the fact that they are changing the actors every two seasons. 

I've learnt a lot about history as after some episodes I would look up what had just happened and even though I know there is a lot of dramatisation going on, the episodes are based around true events. From the top of my head, the fog that lasted for a few days in London (that was in series 1) and the coal mine disaster in Wales (that was in series 3) are examples of historical events that actually did happen and they dramatised them in The Crown.

One thing I did notice in the fourth series of The Crown was the Prince Charles character walking around and always touching his wrist or cuff-links or something similar. 

It got me thinking. What is this? Why does he do it? It doesn't seem like it is dramatised either because in the real video shots of Prince Charles, he seems to be doing it. 

Is this a nervous thing? Is it a confidence thing? I'm not sure. I know my bad habit is that I walk along the street while playing with the skin on the inside of my let thumb. Sometimes I even draw blood. Sometimes it gets really bad that I put a band aid over it so I don't do it. I even put band aids on the right thumb as well to stop 'mutilating' myself. 

Apparently when Prince Charles plays with his cuff-links, it is a sign of anxiety and he wants to get out of the situation he is in at that moment. I wonder what this says about his personality. In the earlier series of The Crown he is portrayed as a shy boy and not the most confident while his father, the Duke of Edinburgh is quite domineering. I wonder if that has something to do with the anxiety he shows.

                                                  Image by David Mark from Pixabay 


It's easier said than done but you might be shy or insecure around other people and you might not like the judgement that you think you might get from them. Remember they are trying to get you to conform to what they think a person should be and act. It really has nothing to do with you. I know that is difficult to remember in the heat of the moment but the more you practice trying to remember it, the easier it will be to laugh all of those judgements off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment