Saturday 21 November 2020

2020! Which is it going to be?

 2020. 

When historians look back on 2020, what is the first thing they are going to talk about?

The cancelled Olympics?

The American presidential election? (Quite possibly)

The fourth season of The Crown? (It's really good so far.)



All three of those are likely candidates (maybe not The Crown) but I think we all know the answer to my question above. Of course, the Covid-19 Pandemic.

It has been a very "interesting" year for people around the globe. Unfortunately we have had deaths. We have had riots. Unfortunately we have had lockdowns. We have had unemployment. We have had underemployment. We have had hand washing galore. We have had temperatures taken multiple times a day.

All of these are negative but what positives have we got out of it? Lets look at it from an introvert's point of view.

First of all there is a lot more home time. For example, a lot of my work has gone online and so that means staying at home throughout the day. I notice some of my clients are spending two days at work while the other three days are at home. 

For introverts this is great as they don't have to deal with their colleagues coming to their desk and asking inane questions or participating in the water cooler talk. Gossip or what have you. People can get a lot more work done at home and then when they have finished it is a 0 minute commute to the kitchen. Also the best thing is that you can ask, "Pants? What are they?"

Secondly, this has something to do with the first one, you have a chance to really concentrate on your work. There are no distractions and no phone calls to take away your concentration and if you do get a phone call, it is easy to ignore it. (I know shock horror. I can hear you asking, "what if it is a client?" Look, I'm sure they will survive. And if they get their knickers in a twist because you called them back two hours later, then do you really want to deal with them? I know, that sounds shocking but think about it.)

Also because we are spending more time at home we are spending more time with our loved ones and that can only be good, can't it? 

Of course this whole thing can kind of be anti-social and you could stay at home for days on end. I know in the early stages of the pandemic I stayed inside for up to 4 or 5 days at a time. It wasn't too bad but even though I am an introvert I am by no means a hermit and it did get boring from time to time. 

My recommendation is to use this time to build your future life. Maybe try and lose weight. Try to start a business. Write that novel you have always said that you would. Catch up on your reading. I'm sure you have hundreds of books and articles lying around that haven't been read. 

This could be the most interesting year of your life or you could feel depressed by it all. Which is it going to be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment