Sunday 25 October 2020

PEOPLE WHO SAY LETS DO SOMETHING AND THEN NEVER FOLLOW THROUGH

It always surprises me when you hear from someone who you haven't heard from for a long time and they say the following:

"If you want to get a coffee send me a message."

OK. Thank you for the invitation to do the work. Why don't you just ask me out for a coffee now? 

I got a message from a woman who I romantically pursued a few years ago and failed dramatically. She decided that we were going to be friends and nothing more. (Did you notice that I didn't write "just friends" because I think that demeans the meaning of the word friends.)

We chatted on Messenger for a few minutes. I was walking home. We hadn't seen each other for two and a half years and to be quite honest, that time was really boring. She seemed more infatuated with the goings-on on her phone. It seemed like I was there for some amusement between checking her phone.

Anyway, we chatted for a few moments and she brought out the above line. I said OK and then did absolutely nothing about it.

Is the above line another version of "lets do lunch"? Am I too gullible? Do I take everything at face value and I shouldn't? I don't know. What I do know that if these people do want to have a coffee they will ask me then and there and it is merely a greeting to end the conversation.

Maybe I should start an online campaign to stop these greetings with no balls behind them. Maybe not. But please make me a promise, if you say something like "lets have lunch" or "lets have a coffee" bloody well mean it. 

I better stop here before I start sounding like a whinging Kiwi. 


No comments:

Post a Comment